Journal 1

Time/ Machine a course that will teach me how through time, we’ve come to built/develop these different “machines” we have weaved into our daily routines… or that’s what I thought. When we had to discuss whether we agreed or not with the author comparing the human brain to a computer, I found myself in the batch of those who were startled  by this idea. As a biology major, we’ve talked about the central nervous system which is composed of the brain and the spinal cord, the different parts of the brain and their functions, the role of neurons in deliverance of information, but have never made this distinction of the possibility that the brain behaves just as a computer. I tried finding other arguments including the second article we had to read about the brain NOT being a computer that could refute this idea but the longer I thought of it, the more complex this became. Indeed, if one wants to look at the components of a computer and compare it to what interacts with our brain, we can attempt to justify that as most of the computers (usually desktops) need specific cables to function properly, neurons and nerves behave the same way delivering information throughout the body. It was just really interesting to apply such behavior to what we know about our brains and think how it can potentially revolutionize the way scientist study such complex system.

On the other hand, when reading “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court” it was interesting to explore how technology has played an important role in modern generations and drives the desire of most individuals to want to be the best. This is seen in Morgan’s attitude change when he realized he had the power to drive the development of Camelot. When he first noticed where he was, he was not content; there were no commodities, and everything was strange. He mentions how “it is the little conveniences that make the real comfort in life” but it is kind of humorous to even think about the conveniences he was referring to (soap, matches, mirrors) because in today’s world those are deem as unimportant. But then one see throughout the reading, that these inconveniences are no longer dreadful because he is able to use his knowledge to rearrange the system and drive the development of more important institutions that will bring with them more technological advances. I think his desire to see development within the city is kind of bogus because it doesn’t seem like he is doing it for the people but rather to be able to reach a level within this particular society where he can feel comfortable in the environment he is situated in. As a result he might be changing the city for the better and introduce technological advances that if in real life, could have been the ones shaping the pathway to what we have and know today, but it is kind of idealistic to think that there’s no self-interest among his actions and desires.