Verrilli Journal 1

I am still wondering to myself if our brain is a computer. It is very interesting to think about. Through computer science classes here at Bucknell I have seen how many computer programs, such as Artificial Neural Networks, are designed based on how the brain works. In my own opinion I do not think our brain is a computer. I believe that as of now, the brain is more complex than any computer humans could design at the moment. Computers are just starting to be able to beat humans at games like chess, but thats about as smart as they have gotten.

This assessment of our technology relates to A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs court. Technology is so common place/advanced now that if were to wake up in a different time period with less technology it would almost be like going to a different planet. I would even go as far as to say if some people woke up in a less advanced country such as Africa or even some parts of South America, that they would be just as confused as if they woke up in a different time period.

This should concern us, at this rate technology is becoming so prevalent that as a society we are starting to become dependent on it. Thus, technology companies are gaining a lot of power… maybe even too much. Every major country would come to a complete halt if they were to loose power. Which is a very real possibility in the near future with the rate we are using energy now.