Journal 1

Technology is everywhere. Without it what would we become? Imagine a world in which some of the most impactful technological advances just vanished. We’d feel less complete without it. For example, for us millennials a day spent without our “smartphones” is almost equivalent to the sensation felt by amputees – phantom limb. We might as well have legitimately lost an appendage. The euphoria one feels once reunited with their beloved “smartphone” is worrying to say the least. Instant gratification in the form of “text messages” and “social media” has overrun our lives. Human communication has become a farce of what it once was. But don’t get me wrong I am a supporter/optimist when it comes to the advancement of technology. I would go as far as to say scientific literacy should be demanded of all our politicians. But it isn’t. How can someone truly exercise their “power” fully without a true understand of the world around them? I believe you can’t.

The first week of class felt as if I was being called out for a crime I committed subconsciously. New technologies are introduced into our lives on a regular basis. No one questions it and sort of just go with the flow of things. Why would anyone reject an easier way of life? Our world is obviously based on commodity. The less we struggle the more we are willing to pay. But what is the actual price that we are paying? We usually aren’t worried about the side-effects technologies have on our lives until it’s too late. I personally feel addicted to my “smartphone”. I periodically find myself in this back and forth with my own mind. I notice I spend too much of my time on “social media” or texting those who aren’t even in my vicinity. Then I tell myself I need to make a change and try to be more present. Swiftly I delete every social media app on my iPhone. Sometimes I last a week without re-downloading these apps. Most of the time I can only hold off for a day or two. Why do I succumb to my urges so easily? Well, my generation suffers from something called “the fear of missing out”.

The crime I’ve committed is allowing technology to shape me instead of using it to shape the world around me. What it means to be human is rapidly changing alongside technology. Should we remove ourselves from technology altogether in hope of preserving our “humanity” as the Amish do? Or should we embrace all baggage technology comes with and enjoy the ride redefining humanity on the way?

Comments

1. Nice reflection, Angel. Interesting theory about “the fear of missing out.” It would be interesting to think about the sources and causes of this anxiety. Is there an economy of things one can miss out on? Are some “misses” worse than others? What is the fantasy or ideal–to never miss out, to be constantly in touch, connected, observant, participating. Keep going. This could be a very profitable line of questions for a paper!