Caroline Kunkel Journal 2

One of the things I was most surprised about this week was really delving into how much technology has and continues to shape our thoughts, behaviours, and societies. For example, in the film about the Chicago’s World Fair, I was shocked by how much of the displays and attractions on which countries spent thousands of dollars were technologically driven to display the superiority of their nations. Even the displays of food and lace subtly showed the majesty of each of the nation’s technological advancement, with the food showing the connectivity of each nation, and the world as a whole; for who could transport fresh oranges thousands of miles without technology, and who could make such fine lance in such bulk without machines and power. In addition to the more amusing and appealing attractions, I found it shocking how many weapons were on display. By seeing the grandeur of the weaponry on display from several of the countries directly involved in the later wars on Europe, I couldn’t help but wonder if the drive to be the greatest at the fair did not contribute to the destruction and millions of casualties during the war which might not have been so great had the weaponry not advanced so far beyond the past war tactics. I wonder this in part due to the fact that throughout my studies of the Great War, one fact has remained glaringly obvious: while the weapons technology had advanced rapidly, the battle tactics had not, and thus even more people were killed. In addition to the massive display of superiority over one another, I found it shocking that nations used people as a part of their attractions, to show their dominance over a ‘lesser’ civilisation and to show a disparity between their wealth and advancement and that of their colony. I found this particularly disturbing not only due to the clear violation of human rights, but also due to the fact that Hank, from the Connecticut Yankee was so appalled with the slavery he saw around him in King Arthur’s time. While I had known that people were still greatly discriminated against after the abolition of slavery, particularly people from other, ‘savage’ nations, after reading Hank’s views I suppose I thought it would not have been so severe; although after having researched more about Twain’s life, it made more sense to me that his characters would share views akin to his own, rather than completely representing the ideals of the general US population, let alone the European population as well.

In addition to the film, I was interested by how much Hank’s exposure to more advanced technology altered his view of the society in sixth century England, and in King Arthur’s court. For example, if I had found myself in his position, I believe I would not try to change the communication and business aspects of the nation, which Hank chose to do – I believe in part due to the massive industrial and technological revolution which was occurring around the time the novel was written – but instead would try to improve the health and medical aspects of the country. I believe this difference to be in part personal differences, but primarily due to the differences between the worlds in which Hank and I have grown up. During his time, in the 19th century, the industrial revolution was occurring, whereas nowadays, many of the large technological advancements are in the field of medicine. Thus, although I am personally more fascinated by medicine than some of my colleagues, I believe there to be a universal increase in interest in the medical field, more broadly in the increasing longevity of the human race.

Finally, I find it fascinating that the opinion of idleness has shifted over time, from the Grecian view of it being something which one ought to wish to obtain, to its being frowned upon to the extent that it was seen as a great sin, to now, when idleness itself is the goal and is seen as a great success, for which people toil away. The notion of idleness has always seemed hypocritical to me, being a way to oppress the masses, while seemingly not applying to the higher classes, who could elect to do things at their own leisure. Even now, though it is not frowned upon so greatly, it seems as though idleness and leisure are the ultimate goal, for which people ought to work, in some cases practically working themselves to death, rather than having people simply find worth and contentment in where they are and what they have, so that people, particularly in the states, can finally experience that what they have is enough.