Andrews Journal 3

Journal 3
While in class today, Professor Drexler asked the question as to why Hank Morgan initially keeps his educational and economic system secret. After a few comments about the oppressiveness of the church and the “residual power of tradition and superstition,” I expressed the idea about the power of written word and the power which is automatically bestowed those who can read.
The definition of enlightenment emphasizes reason and individualism. This individualism can come from many different sources, one of which is the ability to dictate one’s own education. I am not suggesting that I or any of my classmates have complete control over our educations, however, I am able to go to the library and pick out a random book, explore and read the latest gossip from the magazines in the grocery store, and to pick up the newspaper and say in tuned with current events. Those who are unable to read are only able to gain access to these stories and information by the word of mouth. During the sixth century, the word of mouth was the only source of information, unless you were one of the select few, very select few, that had been taught out of read. This made it extremely difficult for anyone to rise up and rise out of their current situation. Knowledge is power. When Hank Morgan introduces an educational system, the systematic hold that those who did know how to read was broken and all began to poke holes and see the flaws in their teaching.
Today, in parts of Saudi Arabia and countries around the globe, women especially are automatically oppressed and set at a worth that is significantly below men because of their inability to read, due to the fact that they have never been never taught or it is against the law. Knowledge is power and the freedom to be enlightened is a privilege that not everyone is afforded across the globe. My hope is that one day, all women are given the freedom to control their own education and individualism.