CR Journal 3

This has been a hot topic for a long time now, but Donald Trump is in office and has now made an executive order that affects the lives of millions in a negative way. It is un-American to take an isolationist stand and block entry of citizens, of any country, that want a chance at a better life. I do agree that there is much going on in the Middle East and Africa, and it is not exactly our duty to directly get involved, but if people want to legally come to our country we should let them. Trump is attempting to use islamophobia and harness our fear to make the American people turn on other nationalities.   I have looked at the stats, and if you do not include 9/11, less than 75 Americans have died from terrorist attacks on US soil. While I agree that 1 death is too many, I do not think this executive order will reduce this already relatively small number. If he really wants to reduce deaths in the United States, invest in pharmaceutical research and attack big tobacco companies, which cause exponentially more deaths than Muslim terrorists.

This was one of Trump’s decisions that I did not agree with, but the main one that bothers me is appointing someone head of the EPA that does not believe in climate change. Take one college biology course and you will understand the truth. It is happening, and it is happening fast. I am a biologist, and am very passionate about this issue. A change in the oceans temperature by a few degrees could be catastrophic to marine life, which would send a rippling effect through our economy. There are so many areas of our environment that are teetering on the edge of catastrophe. Donald Trump is a smart man. It may not seem like it, but if you are as rich as he is, and manipulated your way into being the leader of the free world, you have to be doing something right. He should definitely have the brainpower to comprehend that changes to the environment are hard to reverse, and take unbelievably loner to fix than they are to induce. If he wants to bring power back to the people, the first thing he should be doing is cleaning up the environment in which we live in, not eliminating strides we have made in the right direction. Lets hope we have enough checks and balances in place to keep this man under control, and hope that we can look back in 4 years and say that he decisions for the betterment of the American people.