Journal 3

On Tuesday of this past week, a walk was conducted by Prof. Drexler in protest of the immigration ban President Trump had ordered on 7 Middle Eastern nations. The effects of this executive order had global ripple effects; people around the world marching, gathering in groups, coming together in a moment of solidarity in the face of yet another widely questionable Trump act. I am once again, immensely grateful to have been able to have access to a college education and the many benefits that come with it both inside and outside the classroom. What is happening in the highest of political positions in our country right now is not normal, and in a large majority of the decisions made by Trump’s cabinet, just not right. After almost a decade of remarkable social and economic progress, we seem to have reverted back to old, conservative ways. Forward thinking and empathy are the two main components I hope to always see in men that hold high power and position in this world. Currently, one of the most powerful men on the earth possesses no neither quality, but perhaps Trump’s election was a sort of awakening snap to the people of the United States. It was shocking to see on November 8th, 2016, just how many people could be swayed by fear-mongering, unjustified blame, and hate rhetoric; all of a sudden, there were more people around us that shared the same views as Trump than we would have ever guessed. But perhaps, in the face of darkness, we can use Trump and his supporters’ rise as a sort of measuring device. Back when most of us were kids, if we wanted to be president, we would often be told to have certain values such as righteousness, good judgment and strong leadership. We would often look to the current president and emulate his values, as he was the man elected by the majority of a country. Now, we have someone in office that most us can agree we should not emulate in nearly every way. Perhaps we can use this presidency and the actions that occur as a self-check system on ourselves. Every day more and more depressing news is released from the White House, but each day I learn more about my own character and morals in comparison. I know these things that are happening are wrong, I know what is the right thing to do. It forces me to search for facts, the truth. These events make me seek conversation, even with others whose political ideals differ form mine completely. Because in my opinion, being close-minded is the most damaging thing you can do to your mind. Closing oneself off from certain inputs would only make one more stunted in growth and less understanding. To go out into the world and to converse with others, have new experiences, empathize with those that are different, is the best way to combat close-mindedness. It is the most effective way we can distance ourselves from being someone like Trump or any of his blind supporters. We can help each other grow, we can better ourselves and listen to others, including everyone, even those that have thoughts conflicting with ours. The walk organized this past Tuesday was a very brave step in the right direction conducted by a professor I am proud to have a class under. In the face of a new president, for the first time, we must do everything in our power to be what he is not.