Journal #3 – Chloe Park

President Donald Trump’s executive order, which bars people from seven predominately Muslim nations from traveling into America is absolutely ridiculous. The order on immigration bans Syrian refugees, students, scientists, and veterans who cooperated with the US military in Iraq.
I am a second generation American. My mom and dad were born in South Korea; my dad moved to the United States with his family in 1973 when he was only seven years old in hopes of starting a better life and future in Irvine, California. My mom moved to the United States with her family in 1970, when she was six years old and began the American dream in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My dad worked incredibly hard to persevere and overcome many obstacles throughout his life while attempting to establish a life in America. He fought back racism and prejudice as a first generation American. Even though racist names and actions were called against him, he remained mature and strong. On the other hand, when my mother was younger, I remember she used to tell me that she would physically defend her sister when both were called racist names. As my parents grew up, they’ve learned to move on from these racist comments and work hard in life to achieve the American dream. Now, my parents, both college educated and accomplished business professionals, have raised three children together, and achieved the American Dream for themselves. Throughout my childhood, my parents emphasized the message that in the United States, “We can achieve anything and be anything that we put our minds to.” My parents always taught me to fight for equality, embrace diversity, and appreciate one’s culture. When Donald Trump addressed that the American dream is dead during a campaign speech, I was absolutely heartbroken. My parents, who fostered and accomplished the ‘American Dream’ is something I value and I’m blessed to have the opportunity to not struggle as much as they did. For Trump to completely end this ‘American Dream’ motivation, is upsetting and deters migrants from opportunities in America. Under Trump’s newest executive plans, my parents and my friends’ parents could have been turned away. My parents’ immigration story shows that there are humane ways of handling immigration, and building walls and banning migrants from entering this country is not one of them. President Trump’s immigration order is more than a protection for our boarders, it is distinct break from the values of diversity and inclusion. It is the destruction of hope for those who wish for freedom and equality, and for those who seek the opportunity to live in America. We need to protect the American Dream now more than ever.