Week 3

Week 3

Journal

This week gave us a lot to think about.

The main issue being the excessive absurdity being coming from the white house. From the misguided attempts at national security to the appointment of the totally under qualified Betty Devos to the office of secretary of education. It was heart-warming, despite the fairly frigid temperatures, to see the support everybody showed towards our immigrant friends. Every time I hear that people immigrants are a problem I think that I should say something like “how do you think the Native Americans felt?”

I even see a thin vein of this in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court. Both the Church and Hank thought that what they were doing was for the best. The Church worked its way into “the Factory” so that they could take control when Hank left. They thought that they were restoring order. Of course if this Church was really historically accurate, they would probably have more selfish reasons than that. Hank saw the people of the 6th century as less because they did not have the advancements and motivation to work that he did. He thought that he was helping them realize their potential as humans. The connection to our current situation, is that the people in charge think that what they are doing is for the best. And it’s never the best for everyone. Though Hank brought the 6th century’s technology into the realm of his modern age, he had to re-in doctrine the people living there. He changed social dynamics so radically, that it probably threw many of the people for a loop and if they didn’t follow his ideals, they were left out. Hank also killed like 30 people for no reason. Because of the Church’s scheming, they caused the atmosphere that lead to Hank’s eventual belief that everything had to be destroyed before it could be rebuilt. This caused the needless deaths of basically every knight in the kingdom.