Rafe Kaplan Journal #4

I really enjoy the controversy around the trolley question. Is it the most ethical to do nothing and kill five people, or move the steering device in a way in order to only kill one. However, I believe taking the variable of time out of the equation degrades the question from a real-life moral and ethical decision into a crazy “what if” proposition that brings in many unnecessary variables. My favorite unnecessary variable that is probably the most frequent addition to the problem is the identity of the single person versus the identities of the five. The problem itself is about the sheer number of people not murdering one person is worth. If killing five people is a worse offense than murdering one then you you obviously steer into the one and vice versa. The question can only work in a situation where the rules of society do not apply. In the analogy and unlike reality: every life is equal, you as the killer/ murderer will not go to jail regardless of what happens, the people are hogtied up in front of the trolley and the trolley moves at a pace so fast that bystanders are unable to save the hostages. None of these variables are realistic, nor has this situation ever really happened, so the extra variables take away from the point of the moral question, which is: Is killing five people you do not know equal in your mind to murdering one person you do not know.