Journal 2/24

This weeks class we had a really interesting discussion on robotics and whether or not our we are ready as a nation and the world to have robots. In my opinion, we will never be ready for robotics because we there is a line that has to be drawn that we cannot cross. Not forever, but until we as a society can correct our own problems, how can we bring in what almost is a whole new “race”. I do not think we can control where robots go and the exact impact they will have. For example, the invention of telephones was created to allow people from far distances to communicate with one another. However, from that stemmed cellphones which my generation revolves our lives around. So much so, that our communication skills face to face with humans has declined. If one day, all cellphones and telephones were destroyed, our generation most likely could not survive. We do not have the skills to communicate with people we rely on, and our whole world system is created off of the telephone. If robots were created, they would be able to do our tasks and jobs for us. Our entire society could change and now be based off of robots. What if one day, all of the robots were destroyed. All the generations who no longer had robots to do work for them would not be able to complete every day tasks. Our society would be sent back decades. People would have to re-learn how to do tasks and have to perform work on their own. This is why I do not believe that robots should be created.