Journal 2/24

While discussing whether our society is ready for the introduction of robots or not, it was very interesting to note the different view points people brought in class. When asked the question, I could not help but think that in some sort of way people seem ready for it because of our “obsession” with advancement in technologies. We always are wanting more of the new thing to out compete other economies, thus if the introduction of robots is the new thing in the market I think people wouldn’t necessarily be scared but curious about it. But in the other hand, it is true what we discussed in class. Our society has so many issues that introducing this new race wouldn’t be beneficial. If we do have robots, how do we classify them? Do we give them gender? Are the equal or inferior to humans? Do we allow them to integrate in our society? Do we make it accessible to everyone? These are some of the questions that I think the answers will be hard to find until our society solve these same issues that exists among humans. It will be particularly hard coming up with laws and rules that would no longer address the rights of humans and how they should behave, but would have to now relate to robots as well.  Isaac Asimov show us what a world with robots could look like and, likewise the human-robot interaction that exists in this universe, I feel like that would be the same thing we observe in earth with the first introduction of robots. People feel safe in their comfort zone thus the application of robots would do nothing but disturb this. I agree with what we said in class; with the advancements in technology, the introduction of robots ultimately will happen but people will just need time in order to get used to this change.