Journal 5

This week discussed deeper understandings of Asimov’s “The Caves of Steel”. We dug deeper into the understanding of how some societies interpret the use of robots and their role in society.

“The Caves of Steel” was very interesting in the way it approached the space age. The way that AI were involved in society was very “inventive”. The Outer Worlds was not something that I really was expecting to hold such importance. The story was definitely interesting but the world and backdrop was more interesting to me due to the implications of how the world progressed and expanded. The juxtaposition of femininity and masculinity we discussed in class was very obvious after it was brought up on Tuesday. So when I read the remainder of the book there was a very obvious connection between those themes. Especially due to the lack of females in the outer worlds, even when those areas are more “feminine”.

The discussion in class on Thursday was also very interesting, we worked into the ideas of progression and how our world has progressed and will continue to progress. My group focused alot on the rise of late stage capitalism and the continuing change in the economy. We discussed the next stage of the world stage in the form of centralized government and economics. It was a very interesting discussion that tied really well with our discussion of ethics.