Journal 6- Automation

After reading Chapter 1 from the Rise of Robots, I gained a new insight on automation technology that I never considered before. If I am being completely honest, the idea of robots scares me. While I think the innovation in technology is absolutely amazing, the competitiveness in the field is what makes me worry. As it was said in the chapter, when Nintendo came out with the technology for the system to interpret three dimensions, Sony Corporations followed pursuit in the new technology. However, Microsoft (being a giant leader in the technological field) decided to go a step further with the idea in their creation of the Kinect add on game consol. The new systems technology improved the consumer experience, and impressed gamers with the affordable technology. While I think Microsoft’s invention is harmless, the competitive attitude among the different tech Company’s is evolving technology faster than I think is necessary. For that reason, I get nervous at what people will try to create next to one up their competitors. I do think a lot of testing and time goes into perfecting these technologies; but it is possible that the competitive nature in this field could make the manufactures miss a step in the process. With some of these robots producing cars, computers, and even exploiting bombs, I think people need to heir on caution with Automation systems creation for the safety of people.

On the other hand, I think Martin Ford brings up an excellent upside to the introduction of robots to manufacturing. These robots are becoming so cheap and efficient that they are influencing companies to bring their production back to the United States from China and Mexico. Many people criticize the automation systems because of the creative destruction that has resulted. Many people have lost their jobs, and they were replaced with technology that could do the job quicker, and with less financial risk. Despite this, I think it is more important for companies to move their production back to the United States because it is more beneficial to the American people. Although the companies will offer less jobs to people, the jobs they do offer would be better than the zero jobs that would be available in the United States in the production was somewhere in Mexico. Additionally, transportation costs will decrease as the production will be closer to the markets, and people might be able to reap the benefits in price reduction of some products. Lastly, production in the United States would overall benefit the American economy.

At this point in time, technological advancement is inevitable. I think that if we as a society monitor and accept these technologies as they come, we will be able to work together to enhance our daily lives, while also growing our economy. I think it is also time for the big tech companies to focus on innovations that will help solve our reliance on fossil fuels.