Journal 8

I think the bill that was just recently passed by the senate that allows ISP’s to give away our browsing history to 3rd parties without consent should be of grave concern to everyone. The internet is like GI from Stars or the Multivac Asimov wrote about. What you search on the internet isn’t just what you’re doing in your free time, its information that tells everything about you. This act does have potentially good implications, as we saw in Stars, when everyone knows about everyone it can lead to more understanding and less being scared of the unknown. However, I don’t think our world is ready for that. Your search history isn’t going to be shared for the purpose of understanding, it is going to be shared for the purpose of monetization. I could see big company’s start buying potential job applicants search histories or even sports fans buying there favorite players search histories. This isn’t going to lead to understanding and compassion, this is going to lead to the death of privacy.