Journal 4/14

This weeks class we went over a lot of peoples posters and what they will be presenting. There were a lot of really cool topics such as the self driving cars and the ethics behind it. While we already went over some of this issue in class, I think the groups presentation is more specific and goes into depth about this issue. They discussed and researched the cars decision when approaching someone in the street. If the car should sacrifice itself and the passenger in it to avoid the pedestrian, or hit the pedestrian. This brought up a lot of thoughts in my mind especially one of the group members stated that he himself would want to live and not be sacrificed in the car. I would want the same thing. I would want to live even if it meant someone else had to die. I think that is the mindset of almost everyone though. Everyone would choose to live unless the person who is sacrificed is a close family member or someone they know well and love deeply. This is a flaw in the self driving cars because while this may be the majority opinion, it is not everyone’s opinion. Is it possible to program the cars differently to satisfy preference? And is that ethical?

My group realized  after we presented that we should cut some things out of our poster and presentation and go into more detail about price discrimination and why/ how it happens because that is what our audience found most interesting and connected best with. Overall we got a great response and I am excited to move forward with it.