Journal 4/14/17

This week in class I enjoyed listening to everyone’s group presentations. There were some interesting ideas that were proposed and some interesting arguments that really entailed what we have been learning throughout this semester. It showed me that there are many ways that this class can be applied to finding solutions to real world problems of today. The most interesting group was talking about how the human race may have to relocate to a new planet because Earth’s resources are diminishing. This is a clear problem and it’s kind of scary to think that our lives would be dramatically affected.

Another interesting part of their presentation was the ethical part. Someone from the audience asked who would be picked to go to Mars. Like all ethical issues, there are many factors to consider when coming up with a solution, and the solution may not be liked. I think it would depend on the circumstances. If we are able to find a way to survive on Mars in the near future, more people would be able to move. It would be very expensive and I think the elite would be the ones that would take the trip. But, if the human population is threatened and close to extinction because of the dwindling resources, who would be picked to make sure the human race lives on? Would we want the best representative? What makes them the best representative? What characteristics and qualities do we consider when choosing individuals to continue on our legend?