Journal April 14

Our project focuses on the relation between science fiction writing and science itself. Humanity has always been inventing ways to make life easier, from the wheel to spaceships. But its hard to come up with ideas of things that will benefit humanity. I know personally I try to think of inventions to better society everyday (mainly to get rich but thats beside the point) and I still haven’t come up with a good one. Its so hard to come up with world altering ideas that it makes you wonder how people ever come up with them in the first place. A trend my group is starting to see is that usually someone writes about a world changing idea in science fiction and then years later it turns into a reality. When you think about it this makes a lot of sense. Science Fiction writers write stories of futuristic societies with new inventions no ones though of, and they are able to do this because they don’t care if its realistic or not. Thats what makes it Science Fiction. However, when people read those stories they think it’s really cool and they use those stories as goals for the future. In 2012, the show Black Mirror, came out. This Science Fiction series has already seen some of its ideas turn to realities as well as we saw in one groups presentation this week. Im very interested to look into this idea further.