Journal 1: Jan 20

As we talked about whether or not the brain is a computer it became more and more clear that most people including myself don’t truly understand what a computer is. Similarly there is so much about the brain that we don’t know. This makes it very difficult to make comparisons between the two but it’s interesting how the two are so commonly compared. As humans I think we are curious about how people think in general and because we don’t really know how the brain works we like to use the most advanced piece of technology. I think we do this because this is the most some of the most advanced information.

The way technology has evolved has clearly had an impact on our society whether it’s good or bad. We see the way that people interact change dramatically. We use our phones to talk to people from all over the place instantly. This change has positive and negative aspects and whether or not it’s a good or bad change differs for each person based on generation and background. In my personal opinion it’s not a good or a bad thing it’s just different. People throughout history people have claimed that each new piece of technology that alters social interaction is harming society.

Sometimes people will adamantly resist technological advances. The most striking example of this would be amish communities. I have lived around amish my entire life and it’s difficult not to notice the differences. They won’t use phones or cars which are pretty obvious but they also won’t use things we don’t traditionally think of as technology like buttons or zippers. As much as people resist new technology it tends to work its way into people’s lives and in some parts of society more than others. Some amish though they will not drive cars but they will ride in them. I think as much as people try to resist technology it has an affect on our lives because in order to keep up with society we have to keep up with social changes.

Comments

1. I like this idea that even resisting technology shows that one is complicit in its power. Good work!